Monday, March 9, 2009

Furniture I Love: Caleb Woodard Edition

A former Tennessean, Caleb Woodard lives and makes custom furniture in the Washington, DC, area. His work was recently featured in the McLean Project for the Arts Artfest. When I lived in Washington many years ago, I attended that show and was impressed by the quality of the work. I love the way Caleb is willing to experiment with shapes other than the typical squares and rectangles. His South Beach Coffee Table is a case in point. The elliptical top made of spalted maple suggests the shape of a surf board. I love how the legs are classic (even Mid-Century Modern) and let the top be the star of the show.


One of the first pieces that caught my eye was the Elm Trunk Lounge Chair. Made of a chunk of spalted grey elm burl, it is rustic and modern at the same time.


Though it's not a piece of furniture, I also wanted to show this maple bowl. I love the shape and the texture of the gouges he used to make it. This piece, along with the rest of his work, honors Caleb's intention to make each thing personal -- a reflection of the maker that shows the marks of being made by hand.


To see more of Caleb's work, visit his website at www.calebwoodardfurniture.com.

0 Comments: