Friday, December 5, 2008

Follow-Up Post on Don Weber's Tool Chest

Gin Petty was nice enough to take a few more photos of Don Weber's reproduction tool chest on display at the Berea Arts Council. Kari Hultman, of The Village Carpenter, had asked what the inside of the chest looked like with an eye toward possibly making one herself.



The joint at the corner, according to Gary Rogowski's The Complete Illustrated Guide to Joinery is a strengthened halved joint. It is fastened with nails Weber made himself. At the bottom of the sides, you can see a through tenon that secures the bottom of the chest to the sides. I don't know if the sides of the bottom are fitted into a groove.



A few more pictures by Gin are up on Picasa here. Thanks, Gin!

Check out Don Weber's website here.

6 Comments:

Gin said...

I know you wanted shots of the inside, but I ended up shooting more of the joinery than I did the interior. The outside was much more interesting. :)

Furnitude said...

Your photos were excellent!

Gin said...

I'm sorry. I should have thanked you for posting the link to my website. I do appreciate it. On a related note, I read one of your past posts on Brian Boggs. FWIW, the hickory pieces in the Picasa vessel album were made from Brian's scrap hickory bark.

Kari Hultman said...

Thank you Gin and Mitch for the photos! That's a handsome chest and Don did a great job on reproducing it. The joinery is handsome and the hardware really adds to the look of it.

tpobrienjr said...

There's a set of drawings and photos of the original "Mastermyer Find" tool chest and a reproduction. The drawings show the details of the joinery.

Kari Hultman said...

tpobrienjr, where can a person find the drawings and photos?