Thursday, October 9, 2008

Furniture I Love: Leslie Webb Edition

In Leslie Webb's furniture, you can immediately see an active imagination at play. This may sound strange, but her work strikes me as being very visual. I don't just mean that it's beautiful, though it is. I also don't mean that it is only about its appearance -- it certainly has function as well as form. But there are so many visually interesting elements that you can't help but be drawn to look at it.

To step away from furniture for a moment, she makes something to hold flowers that you can't really call a vase. It is a gesture in and of itself. She calls it a Shosh. To me it suggests a dealer spreading out a hand of cards.


Then for something completely different, I love a piece she calls Lainie. To call it a CD case or a storage unit would be a travesty, though it is those things. Again, this is great imagination at play.


One more thing I'll feature is her gorgeous room divider. It almost looks like something Frank Gehry would make but with more subtlety.


Leslie's work will be shown in the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show in November. If you're anywhere close, it looks like it's going to be a great show.

I look forward to seeing more of Leslie's work. Check out more of her furniture and details of the above pieces at www.lewebb.com.

All photos by Leslie Webb.

0 Comments: