Saturday, March 1, 2008

Furniture I Love: Miki Iwasaki Edition

Miki Iwasaki of mi-workshop brings an architectural background to his furniture making which must be part of why he’s got such a great sense of proportion. I love the asymmetry of his Delphin Table, with its delicate base and bold top.


Iwasaki’s Ray Shelf is beautiful and useful and really lets the incredible piece of black walnut shine.


As I’ve mentioned in earlier posts, I love when furniture makers take scraps and turn them into beautiful objects. Iwasaki uses a lot of salvaged and reclaimed wood for his work. Check out his Spare Time Clocks as a great example of how, with a little creativity, remnants can become useful art. It really makes me think about what I’ve got sitting around in my shop that I could make into something cool.


Check out Iwasaki's excellent work at www.mi-workshop.com.

All photos by Miki Iwasaki.

1 Comment:

Ted Wong said...

Thanks for finding and posting all these great works.