Monday, February 7, 2011

Ridgid R4512 Table Saw - Stand and Caster Assembly (time-lapse and photos)

I’m getting ahead of myself a bit, but I wanted to post this time-lapse of me assembling the stand and casters for the Ridgid R4512 table saw. (Yes, I store my golf clubs in the living room. Don't judge.)



Assembling the stand and casters was very straightforward (despite the number of times you see me staring at the instruction book!). I think it took me about an hour or so. I was impressed by the hardware and how well everything fit together. The caster axles and lifting mechanism are very sturdy and heavy. It was a bit of a challenge to install the casters onto the stand by myself because there is nothing to rest them on as you are attaching the first bolt. But once I attached the first bolt, everything got a lot easier. Having someone help you hold it would save lots of time. I got the feeling right away that the lift mechanism works very well. Pushing the foot pedal gives you a satisfying click when the wheels engage with the floor and lift the stand. This feature is going to be a big help since I have so little space to work with. I’ll be able to easily move the saw around when I need to.

Here are some close-ups.



Thanks to my friend Matt for helping with the time-lapse and adding the Railroad Earth accompaniment.

3 Comments:

Unknown said...

I noticed that you rate this saw as a Commercial table saw. I'm sorry, but thats really not true, and is misleading.

Furnitude said...

Nope, I don't rate this as a commercial saw. If you tell me where I said that, I'll gladly take it out. Thanks.

Drew said...

Mitch - thanks for the videos. They helped sort of couple issues out in the assembly. One piece assembled incorrectly was the rear axle. The center peice was going 180 degrees in the wrong direction. This caused the saw to lift, but not lock. I had to take off the nuts at the end of the axle, pull off each of the entire caster assembly, turn the axle 180 degrees, and put the castor assemblies back on. Your videos showed clearly how it should look. So I guess they have bad days in China too - something was on this guy's mind who assembled the rear axle. The Ridgid phone help? Not so good - he had no idea what I was talking abnout.