Thursday, May 29, 2014

Furniture I Love: Libby Schrum Design

I found Libby Schrum’s amazing furniture as I was checking out the website for the Grovewood Gallery in Asheville, North Carolina. (I’ve never been there, but I’d love to go.) I was struck by the variety of Libby’s work and how well it is made. Her furniture is full of ideas that are fully expressed and perfectly executed. Check out her Cork Chair. The curves give it great movement, and I love the milk paint finish.


Siblings is a fun take on a standard bench. Again, great idea, great execution.


Libby studied at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship and earned a Masters at the Rhode Island School of Design. She received the 2010 John D. Mineck Furniture Fellowship, which is given to individuals “who represent a great new talent and demonstrate dedication to the craft of furniture making.” That describes her perfectly.

I appreciate Libby for helping me out on an article I wrote for the Craftsy blog on furniture glue-ups. I’m sure the glue-up for her walnut coffee table, called Theme and Variation, must have been a doozy!  


Check out her website at www.libbyschrum.com. Photos by Jim Dugan

I’m introducing a new feature here at Furnitude. I’ll do my best at the end of each post to include links or buttons to each furniture maker’s social media sites. I want to make it easy to follow them and share their work. Please help me spread the word about great furniture makers by liking, twittering, instagraming and pinteresting their work.

Libby Schrum:
Facebook

0 Comments: