Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ridgid R4512 Table Saw - Attaching Table to Stand

After I assembled the stand on my Ridgid R4512 table saw, I was ready to attach the top but not until I got past the little problem of moving this 266 pound monster down to my basement. A friend (one who is bigger and stronger than me) helped me (more accurately I helped him) tilt the box onto its side, then wiggle the saw out of the box and the Styrofoam. We put it straight onto a heavy-duty dolly and slid a small piece of plywood between the dolly and the saw to make sure the edges of the miter slots didn’t get dinged up. We secured it with a good rope. I was nervous about wheeling the thing down the rickety stairs of my basement but after checking them out, I was confident that they would hold. We went very slowly, one step at a time, with me holding the dolly handle and my friend holding it steady (and bearing most of the weight) from the bottom. I have to say it was not a big deal at all. The dolly worked like a charm and navigating the stairs wasn’t nearly as difficult as I had feared.

Once down in the basement, it was time to put the table onto the stand. I went with the method that was suggested in the instruction manual, which was to turn the top upside down, attach the stand and then turn the whole business rightside up. We lifted the saw, tilted it so it was upside down and let it rest on two boards on the floor. Another suggestion from the manual, that ensured that the top wouldn’t get scraped up on the concrete. We put the dust chute in place (it is basically a funnel that effectively closes off the bottom of the saw cabinet) and set the stand upside down onto the saw cabinet. I secured it with the four provided bolts. The next task was to lift the saw and turn it upright on the floor. As heavy as it was, lifting it up wasn’t as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I was able to try out the lift mechanism and it works well. Now the saw is now in position waiting for me to attach the wings and the rails, and then start working on aligning the blade and the riving knife, attaching the fence and getting it ready to go.

0 Comments: