Friday, February 4, 2011

I Can Has Table Saw

Thursday evening, a brand-spanking-new Ridgid R4512 table saw alighted on my front porch. If that weren’t enough, the really exciting part is that Ridgid provided the saw so I could demonstrate it on Furnitude. (If you look real close on the right side of the photo above, that’s Buster the cat looking on in disbelief.)

The box indicates that the saw weighs 266.76 pounds, and I felt every ounce of it. The delivery truck didn’t have a gate lift, so the driver and I and a neighbor wrestled it down to the street, then lugged it up two runs of steps to our porch and into our living room. One thing I can report is that everything seems to have survived shipping in good shape. Also, it has that new table saw smell.

I contacted several manufacturers about writing reviews of their table saws. Most ignored me. A couple of them declined, which I totally respect. Ridgid is the one that came through. I really appreciate their willingness to take a chance on me. Just to be up front, when I write about something a company has given me, I will always disclose how I got it.

That said, in the coming days and weeks I will write an unboxing post about the R4512 (including lots of photos) and probably several posts about setting it up, tuning it, testing it and using it. I hope to do a couple videos, too. My next tasks are to make my way through the instruction book, assemble the stand and stockpile enough beer to coax my friends into helping me move this beast down to the basement. I now have absolutely no excuse not to make furniture.

The second piece of news is that I'm giving Furnitude a bit of a redesign in the next couple weeks. I hope to make it look a little better and be easier to use. So if you visit and things look weird (more so than usual), that means it's under construction.

Thank you,
The Management

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

I will be looking forward to your review. I use a lot of their tools and have been pleased with them.
Joey