Thursday, February 12, 2009

Rocking Chairs I Love: Hal Taylor Edition

This is the last entry in my series about rocking chairs, and I couldn't think of a better chairmaker than Hal Taylor to close it out. Hal Taylor has been making extraordinary rocking chairs for over 15 years, and he also teaches the art of rocking chair making. I love the way Hal carefully documents the particulars of each chair that leaves his shop, noting the date, the chair name and the chair number. He signs his name and will even inscribe a poem or quote. The reason he does that is because he is looking to the future when the chair will be an heirloom and when small signs of wear will show that the chair has been used and loved for decades and passed through generations.


Some woodworkers have a talent for teaching, but that's not always the case. I've heard and read that Hal is a fine teacher and that his classes are as inspirational as they are instructional. Check out his Rocking Chair University. I hope to take a class someday.

Beyond that, please enjoy these incredible chairs. Hal makes each one to fit the customer for maximum comfort (see the range of sizes, above). And the quality, needless to say, is exquisite.
The following chair was made for his mother.


An incredible headrest.


Look at the bird's eye maple! This arm is a piece of art in and of itself.


You can find more chairs, Hal's musical instruments, plus links to other rocking chair makers and lumber sources at Hal's website: www.haltaylor.com. The next post will be a digest of all the makers I've featured. Of course, I've just scratched the surface of all the amazing rocking chair makers working today. I hope you've enjoyed what you've seen.

1 Comment:

David said...

Good day Mitch, good to see an other great woodworker/chaire maker. One thing that I noticed, looking at the different chairemaker you have presented to us, is the similarities in the confection/construction,and to a certain degre, to the design of almost all the chraftsman. I don't know if it's me but I would like to have you oppinion ont that and maybe you can point some desings and construction differences inbetween them!
Thank you for your blog!
David